Cloaks Versus Grain
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: 3x3
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Something wicked, wonderful, and unique has been brewing in the U.K. for some time—the rips, tears, and jagged edges of the utterly relentless Cloaks. This is true industrial music, the sci-fi sound of robotic alien factories tearing apart twisted sheets of metal and welding them back together into chunks of beats and bass. Informed by dubstep but standing well outside the genre, Versus Grain draws on Meat Beat Manifesto, Techno Animal, and Merzbow, buzzing and crackling its way through tracks like “Against,” “Rust on Metal,” and “Detritus”. All the more impressive for being completely analog based, the album is not for the faint of heart, but it’s a vital shot of adrenaline for those craving dark experimentation in their music.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player