Cloaks Versus Grain
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: 3x3
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Something wicked, wonderful, and unique has been brewing in the U.K. for some time—the rips, tears, and jagged edges of the utterly relentless Cloaks. This is true industrial music, the sci-fi sound of robotic alien factories tearing apart twisted sheets of metal and welding them back together into chunks of beats and bass. Informed by dubstep but standing well outside the genre, Versus Grain draws on Meat Beat Manifesto, Techno Animal, and Merzbow, buzzing and crackling its way through tracks like “Against,” “Rust on Metal,” and “Detritus”. All the more impressive for being completely analog based, the album is not for the faint of heart, but it’s a vital shot of adrenaline for those craving dark experimentation in their music.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player