Collabs 3000 Metalism
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Novamute
A continuation of Dutch producer Speedy J‘s "Collabs" series, Metalism pairs the techno contortionism of J with the skills of German pümpmeister Chris Liebing. At first moist, springy and skittering, Metalism grafts on linear, aggro crunch by track four, "Hilt"-featuring a distinctly Teutonic, steely grind that lopes while not quite achieving Cologne‘s schaffle shuffle (almost reprised in "Cream 3"). For several tracks, imagine a piston-mounted sponge encrusted with broken glass relentlessly buffing a marble floor. These are peak-hour steam bath beats, the kind that flare searing sweat across palpitating temples. Following is a pixilated couplet-minimalisms glistening duskily like a post-apocalyptic aurora borealis-before the disc concludes with the chiming, locomotive "Trikco Live." Insistent is the final word that comes to mind.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player