Common Market Tobacco Road
- Words: Zoneil Maharaj
- Label: Hyena-/MassLine
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
It’s hard not to compare Common Market to Blue Scholars. After all, both Seattle duos utilize producer Sabzi’s talents, resulting in a similarly laidback vibe. Here, Sabzi spends more time on the keys, creating an elegiac atmosphere. But the radical difference is in the MC: While the Scholars‘ Geologic is easily accessible, Common Market‘s RA Scion is more complex. Weaving the theme of service and labor throughout, Scion introduces Tobacco Road‘s central character–the artist as farmer–on the powerful organ-driven opener “Trouble Is,” and brings it full circle on the closer, offering an introspective look at his Kentucky upbringing. The star, however, remains Sabzi, whose production will keep heads nodding long after they stop listening to Scion’s words.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player