Common Market Tobacco Road
- Words: Zoneil Maharaj
- Label: Hyena-/MassLine
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
It’s hard not to compare Common Market to Blue Scholars. After all, both Seattle duos utilize producer Sabzi’s talents, resulting in a similarly laidback vibe. Here, Sabzi spends more time on the keys, creating an elegiac atmosphere. But the radical difference is in the MC: While the Scholars‘ Geologic is easily accessible, Common Market‘s RA Scion is more complex. Weaving the theme of service and labor throughout, Scion introduces Tobacco Road‘s central character–the artist as farmer–on the powerful organ-driven opener “Trouble Is,” and brings it full circle on the closer, offering an introspective look at his Kentucky upbringing. The star, however, remains Sabzi, whose production will keep heads nodding long after they stop listening to Scion’s words.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player