Conjoin A Few Empty Chairs
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Bür
Can jazz become too cool? Conjoint flirts with pussyfooting innocuousness, but ultimately stays on the right side of understatedly chill. On 2000's Earprints, Conjoint dropped muted, electro-organic jazz that smudged noir soundtrack tropes into a vibrantly somber tone splash. A Few Empty Chairs-featuring Karl Berger, Jamie Hodge, David Moufang, and Gunther Ruit Kraus-doesn't deviate much from that template. Berger's vertebrae-tingling vibes and Kraus' crystalline, pointillist guitar daub the foreground with gorgeous turquoise and magenta tones while Hodge and Moufang provide a foundation of subliminal funk. Imagine In A Silent Way performed by Nordic introverts. Cool, indeed.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player