Conjoin A Few Empty Chairs
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Bür
Can jazz become too cool? Conjoint flirts with pussyfooting innocuousness, but ultimately stays on the right side of understatedly chill. On 2000's Earprints, Conjoint dropped muted, electro-organic jazz that smudged noir soundtrack tropes into a vibrantly somber tone splash. A Few Empty Chairs-featuring Karl Berger, Jamie Hodge, David Moufang, and Gunther Ruit Kraus-doesn't deviate much from that template. Berger's vertebrae-tingling vibes and Kraus' crystalline, pointillist guitar daub the foreground with gorgeous turquoise and magenta tones while Hodge and Moufang provide a foundation of subliminal funk. Imagine In A Silent Way performed by Nordic introverts. Cool, indeed.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player