Count Bass D Act Your Waist Size
- Words: James Mayo
- Label: Fat Beats
On tracks that rarely surpass the two-minute mark, the Nashville-based Count (born Dwight Farrell) raps like GZA and croons like Chet Baker over self-produced beats and live instrumentation. It's like free jazz custom-made for hip-hop heads with short attention spans. Occasionally, D veers toward more traditional songwriting, like on the 19th-century banger "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms," but mostly we get concise collages that owe as much to the aesthetics of lo-fi indie rock as to Prince Paul. More serious than his last, Dwight Spitz, Count's latest provides a 30-something perspective on his life and hip-hop times.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player