Count Bass D Act Your Waist Size
- Words: James Mayo
- Label: Fat Beats
On tracks that rarely surpass the two-minute mark, the Nashville-based Count (born Dwight Farrell) raps like GZA and croons like Chet Baker over self-produced beats and live instrumentation. It's like free jazz custom-made for hip-hop heads with short attention spans. Occasionally, D veers toward more traditional songwriting, like on the 19th-century banger "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms," but mostly we get concise collages that owe as much to the aesthetics of lo-fi indie rock as to Prince Paul. More serious than his last, Dwight Spitz, Count's latest provides a 30-something perspective on his life and hip-hop times.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player