In the Country Whiteout
- Words: Chris Sabbath
- Label: Rune Grammofon
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
The three-piece In the Country is all about the piano on their third album, treading off deep into space-jazz and progressive-rock galaxies with their sublime, epic compositions. "From the Shore" opens the album with a hushed chamber mood that imagines a somber, desolate soul slumped over a piano in a darkened parlor before moving onto more ambitious pieces like "Doves Dance" and "Ursa Major." The vibe is still somewhat upbeat on "W.A.R.M.," as it shimmies with a lounge-jazz touch before a chorale of heavenly vocals and mammoth drums eventually makes its way into the mix and awards the song's ending with the prog rumble it truly deserves.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player