Criterion & Doily Criterion & Doily
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Broklyn Beats
Broklyn Beats performed a helluva feat by entering a crowded underground and maintaining a recognizable sound. Said sound typically plays out as jungle and hip-hop for brain-surgery-altered guinea pigs, as label owners Doily and Criterion demonstrate on this CD, which compiles their past EPs. Doily fancies tossing drum machines into trashcans that then get rolled down steep hills. Her ramshackle, no-fi production is a relief in our age of antiseptic digitalia. Criterion mainly focuses on hung-over loops, picking at them like fresh scabs. In "Sole Controller," he disembodies a porno-funk guitar riff that then jabbers itself to oblivion. And somewhere deep in this dancefloor-clearing mire, a savage intelligence lurks.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player