Crowdpleaser & St. Plomb 2006
- Words: Ken Taylor
- Label: Mental Groove-Kompakt
Building on a slew of successful solo singles and remixes since the late '90s, Geneva's Crowdpleaser (Gregor Schönborn) & St. Plomb (Vincent Kolb) bring a considerable amount of depth and well-honed style to their debut full-length together. Dubby, Basic Channel-infused textures pervade "New Times Roman" while touches of Errorsmith‘s swervy funk show up on "Today" as the two producers smear their influences all over the page but do so with aplomb. Perhaps the record's best track, though, is "Cash on Time," a poppy slab of vocal techno funk with Kate Wax on vox. She's not the only special guest-folks like Paris the Black Fu and Kalabrese also make appearances, but you'd be hard-pressed to pick out their contributions from this crowd. Despite Wax providing 2006's only vocal offering, the 11 tracks float by effortlessly, traversing era and genre like the best of Kompakt's style-surveying comps.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player