- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Asthmatic Kitty
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
When it comes to off-kilter art-pop, there are few bands more loveable than Cryptacize. Mythomania is the group’s second album, and it continues their exploration of unusual pop sounds and instrumentation. While Chris Cohen occasionally still cribs guitar sounds from his time in Deerhoof, Cryptacize has impressively expanded their sonic palette to include piano, keyboards, electric bass, and even autoharp. Yet even as their music becomes more complex, it remains undeniably light and cheery, due in no small part to the vocals of Nedelle Torrisi, whose chiming tones wouldn’t have sounded out of place on ’70s AM radio. The breezy skronk of opener “Tail & Mane” is the album’s true star, but Mythomania is full of pleasant pop moments.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player