- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Sub Pop
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
These days, it isn’t the radio that produces one-hit wonders–it’s Apple commercials. Hence the success last year of CSS’ “Music Is My Hot Hot Sex” after the tune appeared in an iPhone commercial. Apple couldn’t have found a better jingle for its latest gadget than CSS’ giddy New Wave amateurism. On Donkey, the Brazilian quintet ditches its quirky electro-rock for full-throated post-punk–trading in their Tom Tom Club 12-inches for Sonic Youth albums (“Give Up” even quotes directly from the latter’s “Washing Machine”). Unfortunately, vocalist Lovefoxxx still has the same teenage concerns (alcohol, sex, dancing) and delivers the same cutesy overtones, while the polished guitars and brash synths ache for something more substantial. Only on “Left Behind”–which finds Lovefoxxx showing a rare touch of vulnerability–and the hip-shaking “Move” does CSS resolve the contradiction. Otherwise, Donkey sounds like a child trapped in Kim Gordon’s body.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player