Cuica City to City
- Words: Jesse Terry
- Label: Ubiquity
Brazilian music is by nature propulsive and alive; those who try to synthetically replicate the fervent rhythms often miss the point. Not so here-Cuica succeeds by embracing the sexy elements of electronic music that most match steamy traditional rhythms. Following on the success of their "Trommell Monster" single, the full length City to City travels through broken beat, nu-jazz and house to render something like a troupe of cutting-edge analog-synth junkies infiltrating a Brazilian percussion ensemble. The end result is infectious and fully club-worthy. Though the album is original and fresh, beats and movement are not sacrificed for the sake of innovation. In other words, sexy electricity.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player