CunninLynguists Dirty Acres
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: A Piece of Strange-Bad Taste
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Since 2001, the CunninLynguists have been redefining the sound of Southern hip-hop. With their fourth LP, this trio, consisting of MCs Deacon the Villain and Natti along with producer-on-the-mic Kno, further smoothes out its sonics with laid-back, bumping beats accompanied by gritty, grown-man reflections. Kno’s lush sample- and synth-infused productions provide consistency throughout this disc, but it’s the raps of Deacon and Natti that keep listeners anticipating what’s to come. These Kentucky denizens can both buck police brutality (“Gun”) and talk about checking for top-shelf chicks (“Wonderful”) while sounding like they mean every word. Dirty Acres is what honest hip-hop sounds like, delivered from Southerners treading just far enough under of the mainstream radar.
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player