Cyrus From the Shadows
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Tectonic
Cyrus has been on dubstep selectors' radars since the early days of the genre's second wave, but if you wanted to hear the goods, you usually had to find them on Joe Nice's mixes. Tectonic's first artist LP is all half-tempo cuts, very little melody, dry drums, almost no vocal samples, and all very claustrophobic. "Indian Stomp" rises above the rest with its playful clatter, but overall the album lacks the spark of dubstep's recent output. For a label that's been as adventurous as Tectonic, these tracks often don't rise above DJ tools.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player