Cyrus From the Shadows
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Tectonic
Cyrus has been on dubstep selectors' radars since the early days of the genre's second wave, but if you wanted to hear the goods, you usually had to find them on Joe Nice's mixes. Tectonic's first artist LP is all half-tempo cuts, very little melody, dry drums, almost no vocal samples, and all very claustrophobic. "Indian Stomp" rises above the rest with its playful clatter, but overall the album lacks the spark of dubstep's recent output. For a label that's been as adventurous as Tectonic, these tracks often don't rise above DJ tools.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player