Cyrus From the Shadows
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Tectonic
Cyrus has been on dubstep selectors' radars since the early days of the genre's second wave, but if you wanted to hear the goods, you usually had to find them on Joe Nice's mixes. Tectonic's first artist LP is all half-tempo cuts, very little melody, dry drums, almost no vocal samples, and all very claustrophobic. "Indian Stomp" rises above the rest with its playful clatter, but overall the album lacks the spark of dubstep's recent output. For a label that's been as adventurous as Tectonic, these tracks often don't rise above DJ tools.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player