Dälek Gutter Tactics
- Words: Brigid Moore
- Label: Ipecac
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
With its fluctuating sound, industrial-strength avant duo Dälek has often been hailed as an ambient group destined to change the face of hip-hop. Are they still the same genre-changing outfit? Their style has certainly changed once again, this time resembling angry shoegaze tinged with turntablism and experimental beats. Politically charged lyrics infuse the music with a certain energy, but many of them are lost in hard-to-ignore production tactics that leave certain verses all but inaudible underneath the album’s guttural beats—(“No Question” is a particularly difficult listen). Although digging beneath the layers of raw sound just might yield something solid, Gutter Tactics is nothing that will transform the future of hip-hop.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsStream "Fifty Fathoms" from Marquis Hawkes' Upcoming EP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player