Dälek Gutter Tactics
- Words: Brigid Moore
- Label: Ipecac
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
With its fluctuating sound, industrial-strength avant duo Dälek has often been hailed as an ambient group destined to change the face of hip-hop. Are they still the same genre-changing outfit? Their style has certainly changed once again, this time resembling angry shoegaze tinged with turntablism and experimental beats. Politically charged lyrics infuse the music with a certain energy, but many of them are lost in hard-to-ignore production tactics that leave certain verses all but inaudible underneath the album’s guttural beats—(“No Question” is a particularly difficult listen). Although digging beneath the layers of raw sound just might yield something solid, Gutter Tactics is nothing that will transform the future of hip-hop.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- MP3Son of Sun "Feel Like I Feel (John Daly Remix)"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player