Dälek Gutter Tactics
- Words: Brigid Moore
- Label: Ipecac
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
With its fluctuating sound, industrial-strength avant duo Dälek has often been hailed as an ambient group destined to change the face of hip-hop. Are they still the same genre-changing outfit? Their style has certainly changed once again, this time resembling angry shoegaze tinged with turntablism and experimental beats. Politically charged lyrics infuse the music with a certain energy, but many of them are lost in hard-to-ignore production tactics that leave certain verses all but inaudible underneath the album’s guttural beats—(“No Question” is a particularly difficult listen). Although digging beneath the layers of raw sound just might yield something solid, Gutter Tactics is nothing that will transform the future of hip-hop.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
XLR8R Downloads Player