Daara J Boomerang
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Wrasse
While the Bronx claims birthrights to rap, Faada Freddy of Senegal-based Daara J cites tasso-the West African oral tradition-as precursor to anything flowing from the States. He's right, but this doesn't stop his outfit from taking the tightest American production techniques and layering in aerobatic feats of French, Wolof, English and Spanish. The result is booty-shaking beats with heady mind messages as the trio unmasks dirty politics and social corruption with acute, appreciable dexterity. The heavy thump of the ragga-tinged "Exodus" is enough to set anyone on a new journey.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player