Damon Aaron Ballast
- Words: Christine Hsieh
- Label: Plug Research
This is the type of album to get lost in-all gentle strumming, tuneful melodies, and carefully rendered chord progressions. Damon Aaron‘s startlingly powerful yet quietly introspective vocal delivery draws the listener into an intensely private world. Subtle clicks, pops, and whirs swirl about mellowed hip-hop beats and strings in the intro before sliding into the almost pastoral folk of "Road Map." Songs like "All I Need" take on shades of retro electronica beneath layers of acoustic guitar, and a head-nodding interlude provides a brief moment of head-clearing before plunging back in. Lovely all around, Ballast is unassuming at first but reveals its depth with each successive listen.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player