Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip Angles
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Strange Famous
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
U.K. exports Dan Le Sac and Scroobius Pip blend humor and smarts with spastic beats on their Strange Famous debut. They dabble in spoken word (“Beat That My Heart Skipped”), shift cadences over change-ups (“Rapper’s Battle”), and fume on the human condition (“Letter From God to Man”) with gusto on most of these 13 tracks. Le Sac’s thick accent doesn’t sound gimmicky, and the songs are cohesive for how varied Pip’s beats are. “Waiting For the Beat to Drop” and “Development” do drag a bit, and internet hit “Thou Shalt Always Kill” now sounds a bit trite. Nevertheless the duo seems genuine, proclaiming on “Fixed” “Hip-hop is art/Don’t make another pop hit/Be smart!”
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsMelé Announces New EP, Streams Title Track
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player