Dangernmouse & Gemini Ghetto Pop Life
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Lex
Avoiding predictable radio friendly club pop(pin'), bicoastal producer Danger Mouse and Borough of Kings' MC Jemini the Gifted One celebrate hip-hop through rap. Dynamics and cadence aren't dictated by any one loop or the glorification of loot, but are rather an interchange of beats hittin' and Jemini spittin'. Danger Mouse's background in psychedelic pop and classical structure lets collages sway and stray as sounds find their own footing, while Jemini and guests Tha Liks, Pharcyde, Prince Po of Organized Konfusion and J-Zone help place Ghetto Pop Life's feet firmly in the streets with relevant lyrics, not battle verses. This is an album of meticulous melody and eclectic lyrical dexterity that's nostalgic for Prim-meets-Hieroglyphics, yet not retro.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player