Daniel Haaksman Presents Funk Mundial
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Man
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
No one flips beats like baile funk producers, no one spits crazy rhymes like Brazilian MCs, and no one curates a compilation better than Daniel Haaksman. A key figure in introducing the world outside of Brazil to the sound of baile funk, the Man Recordings boss has collected an A-list of international remixers (Crookers, Jesse Rose, Frikstailers, Stereotyp, and DJ C, among many others) and given them each a shot at reinterpreting the funk sound. The Feadz remix of “Subeu Desceu,” featuring the eight-year-old MC Wes, is a standout with its collage aesthetic, as is The Count and Sinden’s bassline rave-up “Tamborzuda” with MC Thiaguinho, and Haaksman’s own “Who’s Afraid of Rio” with MC Jennifer. The beats range from shuffle-slink to peak-hour madness, and Haaksman earns major bonus points for steering the selection away from the scene’s squeakier, shoutier vocalists.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player