Datarock Datarock Datarock
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Nettwerk
I have no idea who Datarock is–they seem to resemble 13 different bands on this reissue of their 2005 debut. A swank disco number is followed by a department-store house tune that declares it's every woman, which is followed by Hot Chip and "Weird" Al Yankovic remaking Grease... the costume changes never cease. Neither do geeky lyrics like, "I ran into her in computer camp/Was that in '84?/Not sure I had my Commodore 64/I had to score," but vocalist Fredrik Saroea's campiness still sells it well. Stereotypical "nerdcore" moments like "Sex Me Up" reign, and the lounge serenade "Ganguro Girl" rehashes the '90s nostalgia for the '70s. But that doesn't mean these guys don't know how to entertain.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player