Dave Clarke I Love Techno
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Music Man
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
The techno purist is a rare find these days, as are the skills required to make the same genre sound futuristic after 20-plus years. I Love Techno shows why Dave Clarke continues to enjoy his rep as techno’s DJ don: Dark vibes take a stormy ride through sinewy minimalism, where beats tug and pull at each other within a tight funk grip. Clarke is a master of textural overlay: Squelchy acid ignites electro rhythms in DJ Surgeon’s “Electro Bass Head,” while sinister bass pummels Velvet Underwear’s kitschy-cool “The Same.” But Clarke’s expert mixing hand really makes it happen–at his touch, techno is released from its 4/4 confines and becomes something pulsing and alive. Relish the pure.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsStream "Fifty Fathoms" from Marquis Hawkes' Upcoming EP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player