Dave Clarke I Love Techno
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Music Man
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
The techno purist is a rare find these days, as are the skills required to make the same genre sound futuristic after 20-plus years. I Love Techno shows why Dave Clarke continues to enjoy his rep as techno’s DJ don: Dark vibes take a stormy ride through sinewy minimalism, where beats tug and pull at each other within a tight funk grip. Clarke is a master of textural overlay: Squelchy acid ignites electro rhythms in DJ Surgeon’s “Electro Bass Head,” while sinister bass pummels Velvet Underwear’s kitschy-cool “The Same.” But Clarke’s expert mixing hand really makes it happen–at his touch, techno is released from its 4/4 confines and becomes something pulsing and alive. Relish the pure.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player