Dave Clarke I Love Techno
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Music Man
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
The techno purist is a rare find these days, as are the skills required to make the same genre sound futuristic after 20-plus years. I Love Techno shows why Dave Clarke continues to enjoy his rep as techno’s DJ don: Dark vibes take a stormy ride through sinewy minimalism, where beats tug and pull at each other within a tight funk grip. Clarke is a master of textural overlay: Squelchy acid ignites electro rhythms in DJ Surgeon’s “Electro Bass Head,” while sinister bass pummels Velvet Underwear’s kitschy-cool “The Same.” But Clarke’s expert mixing hand really makes it happen–at his touch, techno is released from its 4/4 confines and becomes something pulsing and alive. Relish the pure.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player