David Daniell and Douglas McCombs Sycamore
For their first recorded collaboration, the Chicago-based pair of David Daniell, a guitarist with an impressive avant/free-rock pedigree—he’s worked with Loren Connors and Thurston Moore among others—and Douglas McCombs, best known as the bass player for Tortoise (here, he plays electric and pedal steel guitar), have put together a record of contemplative, fusion-inflected textures, sculpted from hours of improvisation into a shimmering, psychedelic set. It begins with the electro-acoustic bristle of “F# Song,” an unsettling guitar-drone mélange, after which they introduce drums for the record’s remainder, which ranges from sublime noise on “Bursera” to the more serene pastures of “Vejer de la Frontera,” with its enchanting, soft peals of pedal steel and crisp guitar/drum interplay.
- NewsAudion Announces Upcoming 12" for Kompakt
- NewsStream a New Track from Om Unit's Upcoming EP for Metalheadz
- NewsTodd Terje's New "Delorean Dynamite" Video Looks to Sell an Actual Delorean; Watch It Now
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- NewsCheck Out Caribou's 'Essential Mix' for BBC Radio 1
XLR8R Downloads Player