David Daniell Coastal
- Words: Eric Smillie
- Label: Xeric
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Drone music is difficult to make-and keep-captivating. But it's something that Coastal achieves in its best moments, notably the delicate eight minutes that open "Palmetto," where a shimmering mid-tone and a low, oscillating pulse play tag with silence. But Daniell-who plays with Tim Barnes, Thurston Moore, and many other "out" music greats-really shines when he pulls out the acoustic guitar. On "Sunfish," he riffs and loops into thick psychedelia, then leaps into soulful, bent notes, while on "Glasswort," a little blues guitar turns dark dirges and rustling into a song you can follow.
- MP3GL "Won't You See (Gerd Janson Dub Mix)"
- NewsWolfgang Voigt Pays Tribute to the Roland 303 for Kompakt's 303rd Release
- NewsLeon Vynehall Shares Mesmerizing New Video, Announces North American Tour
- NewsGhostly Artists Soundtrack Upcoming Videogame; Hear New Tracks from Shigeto, Matthew Dear, and More
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- Record Store Week: Co-Op 87
XLR8R Downloads Player