David Daniell Coastal
- Words: Eric Smillie
- Label: Xeric
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Drone music is difficult to make-and keep-captivating. But it's something that Coastal achieves in its best moments, notably the delicate eight minutes that open "Palmetto," where a shimmering mid-tone and a low, oscillating pulse play tag with silence. But Daniell-who plays with Tim Barnes, Thurston Moore, and many other "out" music greats-really shines when he pulls out the acoustic guitar. On "Sunfish," he riffs and loops into thick psychedelia, then leaps into soulful, bent notes, while on "Glasswort," a little blues guitar turns dark dirges and rustling into a song you can follow.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player