David Daniell Coastal
- Words: Eric Smillie
- Label: Xeric
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Drone music is difficult to make-and keep-captivating. But it's something that Coastal achieves in its best moments, notably the delicate eight minutes that open "Palmetto," where a shimmering mid-tone and a low, oscillating pulse play tag with silence. But Daniell-who plays with Tim Barnes, Thurston Moore, and many other "out" music greats-really shines when he pulls out the acoustic guitar. On "Sunfish," he riffs and loops into thick psychedelia, then leaps into soulful, bent notes, while on "Glasswort," a little blues guitar turns dark dirges and rustling into a song you can follow.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player