David Daniell Coastal
- Words: Eric Smillie
- Label: Xeric
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Drone music is difficult to make-and keep-captivating. But it's something that Coastal achieves in its best moments, notably the delicate eight minutes that open "Palmetto," where a shimmering mid-tone and a low, oscillating pulse play tag with silence. But Daniell-who plays with Tim Barnes, Thurston Moore, and many other "out" music greats-really shines when he pulls out the acoustic guitar. On "Sunfish," he riffs and loops into thick psychedelia, then leaps into soulful, bent notes, while on "Glasswort," a little blues guitar turns dark dirges and rustling into a song you can follow.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player