David Karsten Daniels Sharp Teeth
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: Fat Ca
There's a tremendous amount of grief at the core of David Karsten Daniels' debut Fat Cat release, Sharp Teeth: a Bible belt despondency and Southern gothic guilt that fellow beard-bard Will Oldham has made a career of underscoring. So Sharp Teeth is heavy stuff, both lyrically and musically. But the record's charm lies in each song's (not-so-hidden) silver lining. Whether it's a boney acoustic number ("Jesus and the Devil"), a lush and crowded boiler ("Minnows"), or a permutation of both (the rest of the record), Sharp Teeth never sags under its own weight, balancing light and dark masterfully.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player