David Karsten Daniels Sharp Teeth
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: Fat Ca
There's a tremendous amount of grief at the core of David Karsten Daniels' debut Fat Cat release, Sharp Teeth: a Bible belt despondency and Southern gothic guilt that fellow beard-bard Will Oldham has made a career of underscoring. So Sharp Teeth is heavy stuff, both lyrically and musically. But the record's charm lies in each song's (not-so-hidden) silver lining. Whether it's a boney acoustic number ("Jesus and the Devil"), a lush and crowded boiler ("Minnows"), or a permutation of both (the rest of the record), Sharp Teeth never sags under its own weight, balancing light and dark masterfully.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player