DDay One Loop Extensions
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Content
Time flies when listening to LA-based hip-hop producer DDay One-though it‘s hard to say whether that‘s a good thing. The man claims to be a vinyl packrat, and it shows in his production, which is loaded up with a voluptuous array of jazzy instrumental samples: a warm contrabass loop here ("If Eyes Were Ears"), an emotive piano snippet there ("Second Set"). But aside from a burst of double-stepping energy in the vocal track "Unstable Material 2," the album keeps a lackadaisical pace mired in trip-hop conventionality. Too often, the balance between understated and unremarkable is off-center.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player