Dead Combo Dead Combo
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Output
From the opening hissy peck of Manhattan-based Finnish duo Dead Combo's drum machine, it's apparent this pair is locked in a suicide pact to resurrect Lower East Side sleaze, or at least look sweaty trying. Skintight leather and stained white cotton plastered to them, Dead Combo's greasers hunch over a sputtering, squirrelly moog and a mauled guitar, both lurching sneers atop a glam-disco stomp as easily descending in to brooding murk. From the stuttering "You Don't Look So Good" to a skuzzy, slashed-up cover of Bowie's "Let's Dance," this stylized apocalyptic biker gang lets fly ricocheting rivets of searing see-saw squall that may not be as foot-forward as much of Output's retro-tinged roster, but is as affecting as it is affected, nonetheless.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player