The Dead Science Villainaire
- Words: Michael Byrne
- Label: Constellation
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
On Villainaire, The Dead Science’s vocalist (and XLR8R scribe) Sam Mickens takes inimitable to a whole different level. If, a few years back, he sounded like Xiu Xiu’s Jamie Stewart at his most unquaking, now Mickens’ warbling birdsong (which is, oddly, both sensual/attractive and creepy) doesn‘t even sound real. Meaning, he’s gotten very, very good. It couldn’t be better framed by anything but the Seattle trio’s noirish avant-jazz–and, on this record, their Hades lounge tunes sound noticeably more elaborate while keeping some semblance of accessibility.
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player