Deadbeat Journeyman's Annual
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: ~scape
Montreal producer Deadbeat has forged a formidable body of digital dub sweetness for Stefan Betke's ~scape, imbuing the Jamaican art form with poignancy and microscopic textural grit redolent of electronic music's most advanced labs. His fifth album, Journeyman's Annual, bears a richer sound than past Deadbeat full-lengths: thicker bass frequencies, more spacious high-end bric-a-brac, crisper beats, and more varied rhythms. Journeyman's Annual is also more emotionally and stylistically diverse. "Refund Me" features MC Bubbz rapping over hectic dancehall with crushing bass pressure and rampant cowbell clatter. "Lost Luggage" incorporates dubstep's bleak, pitch-black atmospheres, while the cavernous and metallically oscillating "Loneliness and Revelry" sounds like a collaboration between Burial and Maurizio. This is anything but journeyman stuff.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player