Deadly Avenger Deep Red
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Illicit/Shadow
What do Big Beat producers do when their genre becomes history? Some naturally try film scoring. Damon Baxter shows he's serious about soundtracking on Deep Red-a 47-piece Hungarian orchestra can't be cheap. Despite Baxter's grandiose ambitions and innate funkiness, Deep Red comes off more as pastiche than inspired creation. Virtually every gesture here sounds overly familiar. The 13-track disc takes a nosedive in quality after the fourth cut, overdosing on pompous, "melancholy strings and turgid exoticism." It's cool to pay homage to composers like Schifrin, Hayes, Oldfield, Morricone and Quincy Jones, but some originality wouldn't hurt.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player