Deadly Avenger Deep Red
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Illicit/Shadow
What do Big Beat producers do when their genre becomes history? Some naturally try film scoring. Damon Baxter shows he's serious about soundtracking on Deep Red-a 47-piece Hungarian orchestra can't be cheap. Despite Baxter's grandiose ambitions and innate funkiness, Deep Red comes off more as pastiche than inspired creation. Virtually every gesture here sounds overly familiar. The 13-track disc takes a nosedive in quality after the fourth cut, overdosing on pompous, "melancholy strings and turgid exoticism." It's cool to pay homage to composers like Schifrin, Hayes, Oldfield, Morricone and Quincy Jones, but some originality wouldn't hurt.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsSimian Mobile Disco Shares Second Single from 'Whorl'
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player