Deadly Avenger Deep Red
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Illicit/Shadow
What do Big Beat producers do when their genre becomes history? Some naturally try film scoring. Damon Baxter shows he's serious about soundtracking on Deep Red-a 47-piece Hungarian orchestra can't be cheap. Despite Baxter's grandiose ambitions and innate funkiness, Deep Red comes off more as pastiche than inspired creation. Virtually every gesture here sounds overly familiar. The 13-track disc takes a nosedive in quality after the fourth cut, overdosing on pompous, "melancholy strings and turgid exoticism." It's cool to pay homage to composers like Schifrin, Hayes, Oldfield, Morricone and Quincy Jones, but some originality wouldn't hurt.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
XLR8R Downloads Player