Deadly Avenger Deep Red
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Illicit/Shadow
What do Big Beat producers do when their genre becomes history? Some naturally try film scoring. Damon Baxter shows he's serious about soundtracking on Deep Red-a 47-piece Hungarian orchestra can't be cheap. Despite Baxter's grandiose ambitions and innate funkiness, Deep Red comes off more as pastiche than inspired creation. Virtually every gesture here sounds overly familiar. The 13-track disc takes a nosedive in quality after the fourth cut, overdosing on pompous, "melancholy strings and turgid exoticism." It's cool to pay homage to composers like Schifrin, Hayes, Oldfield, Morricone and Quincy Jones, but some originality wouldn't hurt.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player