- Words: Lulu McAllister
- Label: Ghostly International
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Moondagger finds wide-eyed Detroit young’un Randolph Chabot crafting an electro-pop debut that oozes romanticism from some distant galaxy. The record swathes catchy new-wave melodies in dreamy layers of fuzzy guitars and synths with a dash of dazed, Panda Bear-style surf rock and John Maus-ian experimentalism. Opener "Biophelia" is a driving ballad, sprinkled with starry synths and distant, reverberated vocals, while the tonally quirky "Pyramid Builders" is a baroque instrumental with softened harpsichord and churning percussion. Meanwhile, the World’s Longest Song Name award goes to Moondagger’s centerpiece track, "Daniel Johnston Was Stabbed in the Heart With the Moondagger by the King of Darkness and His Ghost Is Writing This Song as a Warning to All of Us."
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player