Deerhoof Friend Opportunity
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Kill Rock Stars
Creating fractured pop collages topped off by calliope-voiced songbird Satomi Matsuzaki, Deerhoof gets the spazz tag too often, as if its lush and willfully weird music is just the end result of chugging too much Jolt Cola. But Friend Opportunity, the group's more relaxed yet equally complex new record, shows the 'Hoof is just as adept at pacing and restraint. For every stampeding song, where chugging drums build like a wick slowly reaching its end, there are subdued moments framed by blunted beats and Matsuzaki's grandiose coo. The prickly guitars of the 11-minute-plus closer "Look Way" even unfold like a free-jazz soundscape. The departure of guitarist Chris Cohen means less inspired noodling, but Deerhoof has filled in any empty spaces with plenty of rich, moody melody. Just don't call it their "mature" record.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player