Department of Eagles In Ear Park
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: 4AD
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Dan Rossen is one half of Grizzly Bear's songwriting team; he's the classical-minded experimentalist to Ed Droste's pop savant. In Department of Eagles, his project with Fred Nicolaus, Rossen eviscerates the Great American Songbook, rearranging sepia-toned tropes—barroom pianos, marching-band snares, Victrola waltzes—into supremely complex art songs. Lead-off single, "Nobody Does It Like," sounds like a computer-generated Phil Spector production, with velvety oohs and ahhs woven around a high-stepping bass bounce. Aptly titled album closer, "Balmy Night," meanwhile, is a banjo-and-guitar raga in the shape of a stately antebellum ballad. Needless to say, In Ear Park is the kind of release that becomes increasingly special with repeat listens.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player