Desmond Dekker In Memoriam: 1941-2006
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Secret
Desmond Dekker's most memorable music was about everyday things. And as In Memoriam illustrates, the recently deceased Dekker never slowed with age, dancing vibrantly over ska rhythms with his charming vocals. Whether he sang about his longing for an imagined home ("Pretty Africa"), pure heartache ("Pickney Gal"), or social unrest ("The More You Live"), his ultra-staccato style was lively and full of presence. Recorded in London, the music here is well crafted and comes packed with a booklet profiling Dekker's colorful life and music. These 20 tracks are wonderful reminders of his enduring artistry and charisma.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player