Desmond Dekker In Memoriam: 1941-2006
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Secret
Desmond Dekker's most memorable music was about everyday things. And as In Memoriam illustrates, the recently deceased Dekker never slowed with age, dancing vibrantly over ska rhythms with his charming vocals. Whether he sang about his longing for an imagined home ("Pretty Africa"), pure heartache ("Pickney Gal"), or social unrest ("The More You Live"), his ultra-staccato style was lively and full of presence. Recorded in London, the music here is well crafted and comes packed with a booklet profiling Dekker's colorful life and music. These 20 tracks are wonderful reminders of his enduring artistry and charisma.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player