Desmond Dekker In Memoriam: 1941-2006
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Secret
Desmond Dekker's most memorable music was about everyday things. And as In Memoriam illustrates, the recently deceased Dekker never slowed with age, dancing vibrantly over ska rhythms with his charming vocals. Whether he sang about his longing for an imagined home ("Pretty Africa"), pure heartache ("Pickney Gal"), or social unrest ("The More You Live"), his ultra-staccato style was lively and full of presence. Recorded in London, the music here is well crafted and comes packed with a booklet profiling Dekker's colorful life and music. These 20 tracks are wonderful reminders of his enduring artistry and charisma.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player