Detroit Grand Puhbahs The Detroit Connection Pt. 4
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Matrix
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
The auto industry may be dying, but at least Detroit still has techno. The Pubahs are known for their weirdness, but they keep this mix album tight, moving quickly through 22 tracks in just over an hour. The compilation is actually an “enhanced DJ set” that includes live elements such as sax, vocals, and other music made during the mixing process. The song selection is a bit of a grab bag, as veterans like UR and 4Hero rub elbows with the barely-booze-age Benga and the Pubahs themselves, who contribute the previously unreleased “Blacula's Drack.” Powered by a careening, driving energy, The Detroit Connection Pt.4 shows that Motor City isn’t done quite yet.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player