Devastations Yes U
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Beggars Banquet
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
If Australian trio Devastations doesn’t have a lot of fans yet, they at least have a few influential ones–Karen O and The National have both jumped aboard the band('s)wagon, and it’s easy to see why. On the group’s third album, they’re gloomy as ever. Their melancholic indie rock unfolds slowly–almost sludgily, though not as droning or heavy as, say, the Melvins–and restraint and drama resist each other uneasily. “Rosa,” the album’s emotional center, goes through an emotional transformation as it rises epically then descends into squealing guitars. On “The Pest,” Conrad Standish’s voice barely rises above a whisper, giving the song’s lyrics added punch. Amazingly, they manage to do all that and be beautiful at the same time.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsMelé Announces New EP, Streams Title Track
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player