Deyampert Shapes and Colors
- Words: John Dark
- Label: Sonar Kollectiv
On his full-length debut Shapes and Colors, Cleveland, OH's Deyampert Giles serves up something different for neo-soul fans. Heavily influenced by mentors Jazzanova, Deyampert presents swelling, organic downtempo and nu-jazz flavors, broken up by melancholy acoustic guitar tracks that wouldn't be out of place on a Cat Stevens record. Vocalists Channeng Payton and Heather Clayton give the album more weight, and their liquid soul stylings and uplifting spoken-word interludes should appeal to fans of Floetry and Erykah Badu. Deyampert's not sounding any new notes-Tr?by Trio and Dego have been here before-but he does a great job of layering texture, most evident on percussion-filled numbers like "It's You" and the aptly named, fuzzy house swinger "This Is The Dance Track on This Album."
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player