Dimlite This Is Embracing
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Sonar Kollektiv
Switzerland's Dimitri Grimm is part of a generation of post-hip-hop producers opting to paint their scattered brainwaves on a digital canvas rather than cloth. As Dimlite, Grimm explores territory familiar to fans of J Dilla, Caural or emerging talents Flying Lotus and Hudson Mohawke: bruised MPC beats sinking into quicksand synths, videogame bleeps, and other choppy rhythmic patterns. These gloriously seductive sounds mostly work on This Is Embracing, Grimm's second full-length. The good: Collabos with L.A. chanteuse Gabby Hernandez and the evocative "The Way Blood Travels." The bad: Too many stops, starts, and interludes, which hinder the musical momentum. But if you embrace aural ADHD, this album's a heady drug.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
XLR8R Downloads Player