- Words: Ken Micallef
- Label: Big Dada
This rising star has remixed DJ Shadow and his debut album features Martina Topley-Bird, but does Diplo really have the goods? Sounding at times like the contents of a garbage can dumped into a sampler, Florida matches tinkling pianos with faltering hip-hop beats and chicken scratch guitar and drunken horns with stuttering rhythms. But it's not so much the samples as how Diplo merges this mongrel stew together that makes Florida really sing. At times melancholy ("Sarah"), at times queasy ("Into the Sun" with Martina), Florida is for the anxious moments when indecision rules.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player