- Words: Ken Micallef
- Label: Big Dada
This rising star has remixed DJ Shadow and his debut album features Martina Topley-Bird, but does Diplo really have the goods? Sounding at times like the contents of a garbage can dumped into a sampler, Florida matches tinkling pianos with faltering hip-hop beats and chicken scratch guitar and drunken horns with stuttering rhythms. But it's not so much the samples as how Diplo merges this mongrel stew together that makes Florida really sing. At times melancholy ("Sarah"), at times queasy ("Into the Sun" with Martina), Florida is for the anxious moments when indecision rules.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
XLR8R Downloads Player