Discolobos The Thieves' Machine
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Fish and Crown
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Originally a group of DJs out of Rochester, NY, Discolobos (a.k.a. the two-man crew Brasby and Wagun) have pumped out the self-releases in recent years. This album, though, was slated for release on an indie label, but when relations between the producers and the label got strained, the Lobos started the Fish and Crown imprint on their own. Fish and Crown promises "sumthin' different," but, if Thieves' Machine is the measuring stick, the jury's still out. Sure, the sample-tastic instrumental hip-hop here-a pop culture grab bag sliced and diced into head-nodding beats and loops-is sharply done, but it's not a life-changer. Still, it's on-point enough to make it a smart launch for the label.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player