Discolobos The Thieves' Machine
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Fish and Crown
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Originally a group of DJs out of Rochester, NY, Discolobos (a.k.a. the two-man crew Brasby and Wagun) have pumped out the self-releases in recent years. This album, though, was slated for release on an indie label, but when relations between the producers and the label got strained, the Lobos started the Fish and Crown imprint on their own. Fish and Crown promises "sumthin' different," but, if Thieves' Machine is the measuring stick, the jury's still out. Sure, the sample-tastic instrumental hip-hop here-a pop culture grab bag sliced and diced into head-nodding beats and loops-is sharply done, but it's not a life-changer. Still, it's on-point enough to make it a smart launch for the label.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player