Discolobos The Thieves' Machine
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Fish and Crown
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Originally a group of DJs out of Rochester, NY, Discolobos (a.k.a. the two-man crew Brasby and Wagun) have pumped out the self-releases in recent years. This album, though, was slated for release on an indie label, but when relations between the producers and the label got strained, the Lobos started the Fish and Crown imprint on their own. Fish and Crown promises "sumthin' different," but, if Thieves' Machine is the measuring stick, the jury's still out. Sure, the sample-tastic instrumental hip-hop here-a pop culture grab bag sliced and diced into head-nodding beats and loops-is sharply done, but it's not a life-changer. Still, it's on-point enough to make it a smart launch for the label.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player