Dissent 3 Swap Meet Seers
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Wide Hive
Despite being overshadowed by labelmates DJ Zeph and Variable Unit, Dissent isn‘t a group that can be easily dismissed. Their progressive jazztronic stance mixes musical improvisation with dancefloor sensibilities, resulting in an album experimental enough to take chances, yet grounded enough to deliver results. Lead Dissenter Gregory Howe (who also runs the Wide Hive label) has assembled a talented ensemble whose technical musical chops never get in the way of the groove. Mixing Moogs, saxophones, conga drums, violas, violins and stand-up bass with sample loops, synthesizers, and electronic beats, Swap Meet Seers‘ vibrancy proves in no uncertain terns that acid jazz didn‘t die, it only multiplied.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- MP3G Jones & Mad Zach "Spontaneity"
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player