Dissent Primal Deconstruction
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Wide Hive
Dissent pulls off the tricky feat of spanning genres without ever really alighting in any one. Zipping from breakbeat to chill out to lots of other things, the duo delivers a dancefloor-friendly sound that's hard to classify but easy to listen to. Standouts include "Fight or Flight," with vocalist Nathalie Sanchez showing off smooth, versatile pipes over tropical-tinged percussion, and "Unison," with its funk-laced optimism. Not everything comes off well-the chorus of "Walk on Black Water" sounds oddly like "Fly Like an Eagle"–but, for the most part, Dissent's fourth full-length proves why they've had such staying power.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player