DJ Cam Soulshine
- Words: Joe Rice
- Label: Koch
Soulshine is Cam's reflection on US r&b and soul (there's even a tribute to Aaliyah), a side-step from his previous hip-hop-centric approach and hard-hitting jazz cutups. More grounded than his Loa Project trilogy, Cam uses a slew of guest players and vocalists to good effect here, centered around minimal, laidback grooves. The DJ Premier remix of "Voodoo Child" makes this all the more evident-it's the oldest cut here, and is much more in your face than the sophisticated r&b rubric motivating the bulk of the album. He hits the mark with "Love Junkie," which features Cameo's Larry Blackmon working the tune into a nugget that should rocks bedrooms from west to east. The smoky soul of China's voice on "He's Gone" is another highlight, along with the masterfully skittering collaboration with Atlanta's Donnie on "Elevation." Cam's meandered in various directions since his impressive early catalog-Soulshine is a welcome new focus.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
XLR8R Downloads Player