DJ Design Jetlag
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Lookout
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
DJ Design’s discography is modest compared to his prolific Cali peers like Madlib, yet he remains one of the most underrated producers from the Left Coast. From his beat work for his own group Foreign Legion to NYC’s AG, Design’s productions have always hit hard while rarely sounding redundant. On his debut LP, Jetlag, Design finally gets the chance to let his multihued production shine. Relying much more on synths than samples now, he still cooks up some of the most melodious loops around, as heard on the B Lloyd-assisted “All a Dream.” And, as he proves repeatedly, he can customize tracks remarkably well (check the menacing “Ferocious” featuring Guilty Simpson). His solo work here, like the bugged-out electro track “Gates of Steel,” may not mesh perfectly with the rest of the album, but it sure is a testament to Design’s sonic audacity.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsStream "Fifty Fathoms" from Marquis Hawkes' Upcoming EP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player