DJ Dolores 1 Real
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Crammed
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Since the late ’80s, Helder Aragão (a.k.a. DJ Dolores) has attempted to “go beyond samba and bossa nova,” his press info claims. Collaborating with fellow Recife, Brazil natives Nação Zumbi, he took a detour through graphic design, soundtracks, and TV production work, all of which now inform his colorful beat-driven mutations of Brazilian music. The man slices English vocals from language tapes the way Manu Chao blows whistles. Between the spaces of his drum & bass- and big-beat-informed compositions he sequences tasteful brass, accordions, and congas. He’s never left the Zumbi state of mind; he’s merely expanded it beyond belief.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player