DJ Dolores 1 Real
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Crammed
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Since the late ’80s, Helder Aragão (a.k.a. DJ Dolores) has attempted to “go beyond samba and bossa nova,” his press info claims. Collaborating with fellow Recife, Brazil natives Nação Zumbi, he took a detour through graphic design, soundtracks, and TV production work, all of which now inform his colorful beat-driven mutations of Brazilian music. The man slices English vocals from language tapes the way Manu Chao blows whistles. Between the spaces of his drum & bass- and big-beat-informed compositions he sequences tasteful brass, accordions, and congas. He’s never left the Zumbi state of mind; he’s merely expanded it beyond belief.
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Juan Ramos "The Mariner"
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player