DJ Kentaro Enter
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Ninja Tune
This Japanese vinyl maestro made his name with a Solid Steel mix, but the proof is in his original productions. DJ Kentaro is a talented enough chef, and he attracts ingredients that still pop, like The Pharcyde and Fat Jon. But skill sets are made on instrumentals, and Kentaro has a mixed bag of them here. "Handmade Gift" hums along nicely on top of a wah-pedal reggae wave, while the frenetic drum & bass of "Trust" is a tasty jam. But as fast as Kentaro is, he could use some space. His production can clog up quickly, leaving listeners not on dancefloors (or on acid) somewhat exhausted. An accomplished debut, but I'm looking forward to the follow-up.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player