DJ Koze Kosi Comes Around
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Kompakt
There‘s a fine line between using studio technology well and getting too knob-happy. German Stefan Kozalla-a.k.a. DJ Koze-mostly keeps on the right side on his debut artist album, but occasionally sticks a toe too far out. "Don‘t Feed the Cat," for one, would have been better if he‘d reined himself in a bit, and "Chiminea" comes off maudlin. But overall, the minimalist tech-house here-whether emphasizing artificial sounds or ruthlessly manipulated natural ones-works. The highlight is the already-released "Brutalga Square," with its amazingly danceable little cymbals, but other tracks show promise for future albums.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player