DJ Koze Kosi Comes Around
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Kompakt
There‘s a fine line between using studio technology well and getting too knob-happy. German Stefan Kozalla-a.k.a. DJ Koze-mostly keeps on the right side on his debut artist album, but occasionally sticks a toe too far out. "Don‘t Feed the Cat," for one, would have been better if he‘d reined himself in a bit, and "Chiminea" comes off maudlin. But overall, the minimalist tech-house here-whether emphasizing artificial sounds or ruthlessly manipulated natural ones-works. The highlight is the already-released "Brutalga Square," with its amazingly danceable little cymbals, but other tracks show promise for future albums.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player