DJ Olive Heaps As, Live in Tasmania
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: theAgriculture
In his CD‘s inner sleeve, Gregor Asch features portraits of faces smeared on dirty walls that all resemble those of clubgoers one might quickly encounter in a crowd yet never see again. As DJ Olive, he captures that situation with a recording of his May 2005 Australian performances. The tracks stick to his sunlit Bodega formula of fusing dub, Latin funk, rocksteady, and hip-hop, and the results suit any basement party with no breathing space. "Heaps As" has a Latin-jazz piano melody that chases the ghosts of past loves in the streets. "Sub Bass Commandante" deftly scrambles the "Funky Drummer" break with an ace riddim. Despite its fun, the music grows rather monotonous over an hour. Best drunk one shot at a time.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player