DJ Rels Theme for a Broken Soul
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: Stones Throw
More dusty funk business from Stones Throw, but here they stretch out into broken territory. Yet another Madlib alter ego (this one sharing a spliff with Afronaught, perhaps?), DJ Rels is more about grooves than songs, about moods and beats over choruses and melodies. The result plays like a studio session outtake rather than an album, and I'm left wishing for an objective editor. Nevertheless, the humping, subterranean bass of "Sao Paulo" and spastic inchworm pitch-bends of "Diggin in Brownswood" keep this exploration somewhat engaging.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
XLR8R Downloads Player