DJ Rels Theme for a Broken Soul
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: Stones Throw
More dusty funk business from Stones Throw, but here they stretch out into broken territory. Yet another Madlib alter ego (this one sharing a spliff with Afronaught, perhaps?), DJ Rels is more about grooves than songs, about moods and beats over choruses and melodies. The result plays like a studio session outtake rather than an album, and I'm left wishing for an objective editor. Nevertheless, the humping, subterranean bass of "Sao Paulo" and spastic inchworm pitch-bends of "Diggin in Brownswood" keep this exploration somewhat engaging.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player