DJ Signify Of Cities
- Words: Brandon Ivers
- Label: Bully
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
DJ Signify’s aesthetics could be seen as stubborn or out of step, but you can’t really fault the guy for knowing exactly what he likes. Murky breakbeats, dusty ambience, surreal MC soliloquies—this is tried-and-true good shit, Automator and Muggs be damned! Standouts like “Vanessa” trade Signify’s old SP-1200 graininess for seething noise, coming off like a shoegaze track rather than an Octagonecologyst hopeful. And the melancholic bliss of the weeping bassline on “Costume Kid” is not to be fucked with, even if the ingredients might not be as futuristic as, say, something jacked from Daft Punk.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player