DJ Spooky Sound Unbound
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Sub Rosa
In the liner notes to his latest mix, DJ Spooky writes: “Today, for me, music isn’t music anymore–it’s information.” Thus his second shot at remixing the diverse Sub Rosa catalog–the first resulted in 2004’s Rhythm Science–is, appropriately enough, a sort of novel in musical form. Taking a collage of heavy and heady audio bytes from Allen Ginsberg, Gertrude Stein, William Burroughs, and James Joyce, Spooky drops them into a sonic mosaic constructed by John Cage, Bill Laswell, Edgard Varèse, and many others. Spooky is a philosopher of sound; this is not a mix you can put on without paying keen attention. Fortunately these 45 diced-up tracks merit an in-depth exploration.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player